In order to develop fundamental scientific principles and applied research aimed to the production of quality competitive products the research center was opened April 3, 2009. On 07.09.2009 it was transformed into a research institute. On August 31, 2012, 5 structural units are currently the part of the Research Institute:
- Biotechnology Laboratory of engineering profile includes three departments:
- Department of agricultural biotechnology
- Department of ichthyology and artificial reproduction of fish
- Division of environment objects’ monitoring
- Testing center.
- Laboratory of biotechnology
- Research laboratory of biotechnology, veterinary medicine and ichthyology
- Commercialization office
- Interdepartmental laboratory «Petrochemicals and composites»
Research Institute (hereinafter referred to SRI) is a research and production of the university institution, performing and providing the research and development in biotechnology, petrochemicals, ichthyology and ecology;
Research Institute is a subdivision of Zhangir Khan West-Kazakhstan agrarian-technical University (hereinafter referred to University), has no independent balance sheet and legal entity status, is headed by Director and submits the Vice-Rector for scientific work of the University.
SRI activity is aimed at ensuring research projects in priority areas of science in the Republic of Kazakhstan, to the development and improving the efficiency of research, development and implementation of research projects under the state order of the executive bodies of the region, on grants, contracts on the economic agents on involvement of students, undergraduates, doctoral students and teachers to the research work.
The main objectives of the Research Institute:
- Training, support and assistance in carrying out research work.
- Intensification of the processes of development and implementation of new technologies in order to create new technologies and materials in the region, solutions of important social and economic problems;
- Promoting the quality of training and scientific-pedagogical staff, increase the qualification of the teaching staff of the University;
- Development of projects and research plans;
- Organization of performing research and development on the modern scientific and technical level, ensures high efficiency of the operations, exercises control over timely and qualitative execution of research projects in accordance with the approved terms of reference and programs;
- Ensuring if appropriate the state registration of the studies, the timeliness and accuracy of reporting on research and development works, provided by the customer;
- Promote involvement of staff scientists, faculty members to the leadership of the scientific works of students, masters and doctoral students, as well as lectures, seminars and other forms of activities in priority areas of Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- Providing its laboratory facilities for undergraduates and doctoral students to conduct research projects;
- Participation in the modernization of existing and creation of new teaching, research laboratories. Providing of monitoring, ecological safety of the population and the environment in the region;
- Consulting software of companies.
Material base. The Research Institute of Zhangir Khan West- Kazakhstan agrarian-technical University is in the building by the address: 090009, Uralsk, Zhangir Khan Street, 51/1.
Research Institute is provided by accommodation and is an independent building with a total area of 1818.5 m2. Specialized rooms are equipped with ventilation and meet the requirements of sanitary rules and norms.
The equipment is installed in the premises of the third, second and ground floors of the research institute and is used to carry out the projects under government programs and commercial contracts with outside organizations.
Quantitative and qualitative structure of the staff. According to the approved staff schedule (order №185 §5 of Aug. 31, 2012), 56 staff units are provided at SRI. Currently the number of employees is 39, including 1 Doctor of sciences, 5 Candidates of sciences, 5 research staff and 28 engineering and support staff.
Research and innovation activity (public procurement, grants, contracts with enterprises, etc.): In 2007 Zhangir Khan West- Kazakhstan agrarian-technical University the State license for execution of works and provision of services in the field of environment confirmed by the Ministry of Environment (№ 00 994 P of June 30, 2007). On this basis, scientists of the Institute have a number of research projects in areas of ichthyology and artificial insemination, breeding of farm animals, monitoring of the ecological state of the environment, the implementation of drip irrigation systems, the analysis of the quality of petroleum products, etc.
Within the framework of the state scientific and technical programs the laboratories of the Institute carried out 10 projects in 2009-2011. On the basis of the budget program 055 of the Institute: "Scientific and / or scientific and technical activities", the subprogram 101 "Grant funding for research" 33 research projects of Science Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan have been implemented at the university.
Participation in the grant competition. In 2009, to the scientific projects competition "Basic scientific research" organized by the Committee of Science, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 25 applications were submitted in 2009-2011, 9 of them had won.
In 2011, the priority areas of science of the Republic of Kazakhstan by scientists of the University 45 applications for research on scientific projects for grant funding were submitted, of them 30 won. To the innovative projects competition organized by the Scientific Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan from the University there were submitted six applications for research on innovative projects, none have won.
In 2012, on the priority areas of science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, University scientists filed 31 applications for the study of scientific projects for grant funding, 5 of which were endorsed. On innovative projects competition organized by the Scientific Committee of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan from the University were sent two innovative projects, of which 1 was approved.
Availability of accreditation. University was accredited as a subject of scientific and technical activities of the Committee for Control of Education and Science, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. November 9, 2011 Accredited testing laboratory center for ISO / IEC 17025. Standard (Accreditation certificate № KZ.I.09.0147 November, 9, 2011).
Training of scientists at the Institute basis. Totally on the basis of the Institute from 2007 till 2012, 5 doctoral dissertations, 35 PhD thesis, 89 master's thesis and 1200 degree projectshave been prepared.
Trainings. Internships, training courses for employees on the basis of the Institute. Total on the basis of the Institute from 2007 till 2012 - 1900 training of the teaching staff were organized, from which in 2008 - 566 listeners, in 2009-238, in 2010 - 601, in 2011 400, in 2012 - 95.
Publications. Onthe research results 368 works are published, including 8 monographs, 19 patents, 116 articles in rating journals of the Republic of Kazakhstan recognized by the Committee for Control of Education and Science, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 178 articles in scientific conferences, 29 teaching aids, 18 articles in foreign publications, including with non-zero impact factor - 2.